What are you looking for?
The Charleston School of Law Externship Program provides students with meaningful hands-on, practical legal experience in a variety of legal practice areas while earning academic credit. With more than 150 preapproved externship sites, Charleston Law students are able to find the perfect fit to learn and develop skills in the legal field of their interest, including public service, corporate law, criminal law, environmental law, civil litigation, family law and intellectual property.
The externship experience:
- assists students in exploring a particular area of interest of their choice at a field-placement site
- exposes students to the operation of the legal system
- enhances students’ practical skills, such as, communication, research and writing
- enhances students’ personal skills such as poise and confidence
Additionally, externships provide students with the opportunity to meet and work with members of the legal bar and their staff, which may prove invaluable as the students pursue employment.
To qualify for an externship, students must have completed at least 27 credit hours and be in good academic standing. Externships are available in the fall spring and summer semesters.
If you are currently an enrolled student, you can learn more about the externship program on the TWEN Externship site.
Where Can You Work?
Pro Bono Populi is our mission and we love providing our students with opportunities to serve those in need. Our externship program can help you learn and grow with opportunities with some of the following legal services:
- American Civil Liberties Union
- Catholic Charities/Office of Immigration Services
- South Carolina Legal Services
- Charleston Pro Bono Legal Services
- Charleston Legal Access
- One80 Place
- United States Federal District Court, District of South Carolina
- United States Senate Judiciary Committee
- South Carolina Circuit Court
- South Carolina Family Court
- Charleston County Master-In-Equity Court
- Charleston County Magistrate Court
- Charleston County Probate Court
If you have a passion to work in the legal community in our government, here are some of the externship opportunities available to Charleston School of Law students:
- United States Attorney’s Office
- South Carolina Attorney General’s Office
- Prosecutor’s Office
- South Carolina Commission of Indigent Defense
- South Carolina Department of Social Services
- South Carolina Floodwater Commission
The Charleston School of Law has placed students at many of the top corporate law firms across the state. Here is a list of some of the options (this list is not exhaustive):
- Volvo Car USA, LLC
- Association of Corporate Counsel
- Medical University of South Carolina (general counsel)
- Medical University of South Carolina (research and development)
- Trident Health System
- Blackbaud, Inc.
- Southern Current, LLC
- Charleston County School District (legal department)
- City of Charleston (legal department)
The Charleston School of Law has externship opportunities available at many of the law firms in Charleston, across the state and the region. If you are looking for a specific firm or type of practice, we encourage you to visit our externship program director for details.